How to Make Cannabis Edibles at Home
So you’ve already picked up your favourite strain from The Clinik LA. It’s time to make some edibles, and the possibilities are truly endless. You can practically turn any food product into an edible and can be made at your very own home. The token pot brownie or cookie are the two most popular examples of cannabis edibles, but your options extend far beyond these. Your favourite food products and beverages will soon be infused with cannabis to enjoy, as well as incorporate into your daily lifestyle and routine.
Cannabis edibles are primarily infused with oils or other fatty cooking substances such as butter or honey. Once you’ve mastered the basic method to produce these infused substances, you’ll be creating your own recipes and sharing with all your mates in no time! Not to mention, cannabis edibles are incredibly easy and fun to make.
Cooking edibles starts with the process of decarboxylation, which is basically heating your cannabis to activate its containing compounds such as THC. You’ll need to start at a low heat in order to activate the compounds effectively without wasting the flower. Without heating it up, raw weed is actually non-psychoactive.
Things you’ll need:
- About 7-10 grams, or two eighths of cannabis
- 1 cup of a fatty cooking substance like butter or oil
- An oven and frying pan
- Bowls and mixing utensils
- A cheesecloth for straining
- A bit of patience and some free time to enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 245ºF and prepare a tray with parchment paper or cookie sheet.
- Break down the cannabis buds into more manageable sized pieces. Place on the tray and spread out evenly so pieces are not on top of each other.
- Bake for 30-40 mins until golden brown.
- Grind the heated cannabis with either a hand grinder or scissors if you don’t have one (will take much longer). Place into a bowl to prepare for infusing with butter.
- Heat up your frying pan on very low heat. Place butter in the pan and slowly melt, ensuring you do not burn it. Add 1 cup water once melting has started.
- Add the grinded cannabis once the butter has melted and simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Make sure the mixture never comes to boil.
- Place cheesecloth over a bowl. Once the mixture has cooled off, pour and allow to strain freely. You want to have as little plant material in the bowl as possible – it doesn’t taste great, so aim for a clean consistency.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Ensure to test the potency of your finished cannabutter before consuming a large amount. Dose carefully with your food products of choice and enjoy!